Thursday, November 27, 2008

hair

I admit. My hair was the epitome of a fashion emergency. I truly thought the Vaseline body lotion gave it that extra... UMPH. I found it easy enough to laugh it off. It's just hair, no big deal. Right? Wrong!

Wrong for the serious salons of the world. Wrong for TONI&GUY of Istanbul. Wrong for the handsome black-haired, black-shirted men who swarm/staff this salon. Even wrong for the man in the bow tie who brings you drinks. ... This is a profession taken seriously. These men just may exit the womb with blow dryer and scissor in hand. After four hands washed and dried me, eight eyes stared at my shaggy dog head. I soon realized I was not the Molly I know. I was a self-inflicted head of shame. As they stared in disgust and dismay, I sorely wished my secrets to make others smile were not proving to be useless. It was simple. I WAS AN INSULT TO THEIR ART. As their smiles did not budge, I tried with everything Ive got to suppress that uncomfortable laugh that inevitably arises in the least welcome of times. It lasted the whole hour. Oy vey.
different men. exact opposite side of the city. but the same eyes. 

If you make friends with plants, rest assured you will never be friendless on 6 continents. I was elated to see stinging nettle and chickweed poking about these past weeks... 
* this is my favorite foreign plant in bloom now. next to the front door. 

1 comment:

Provoking Puppet said...

i writings are wonderful. at least you have an ability to make a noise when you're uncomfortable-i go completely silent.

hope all is well :)

~Carly