Friday, June 20, 2008

junebug

Birthdays are a great point of reference.
2004- I was driving out to the farm in  Mars Hill, NC. I was wearing a black and white polka dot dress AND I cried AND I still got a speeding ticket for over 300. Got to the farm to find everyone went into Asheville for the day, so I eat a jar of pickles and took a dip in the mountain stream. 
2005- I turned 21 working in a damnhot kitchen in Israel. I got really drunk that night.
2006- Worked all day in a garlic farm in England. Had a delightfully perfect English lunch, and tea. Watched da Ali G movie with the dad in the evening. Not so funny.
2007- Back in Israel. and working in another kitchen. eh, a theme seems to be appearing.... but seeing the extreme beauty in life for the first time... starting the day with the sunrise and continuing it with nix's songs.... and many, maybe too many, things to smoke...

2008- today is my birthday. It rained last night so the sticky heat that drenched Istanbul yesterday was washed away leaving a soft air for us to enjoy today... after unconsciously turning off my alarm this morning I was woken by two little ladies who are warming up to me very nicely. Today I had time to meditate and read while the girls were in school (today was the last day). I bought two small brown notebooks to stay organized. I played games, airplane, and on iphoto, but mostly I brushed and cut many Barbies hair. They were well overdue for a trim. I eat the most delicious cake ever... and now I am excited to go to sleep in my pink bed with a slight breeze...

Something is slightly intoxicating about the bustle of a new city..... slowly slowly I am working my way into it all.... 

It is fun to be ridiculous. So I am loving listening to Ray J, R. Kelly, Akon, Usher, 2pac, Mariah Carey (christmas) while I sit on the bus or tram and smile to woman wearing headscarves, or navigate my way through the market, or sit in a chic coffee house. 

WOW. I just leaned out my window to the most perfect birthday treat. Fireworks (over the Bosporus) on my right and prayer from the mosque directly on my left. at the same time. incredible.... AND it was no coincidence (have you read the Celestine Prophecy (James Redfield)? You should... (it is filling my mind all day long)

night. 

No comments: