Tuesday, June 17, 2008

a nutshell

New York - Turkish/Russian baths. 10th between 1st and A- highly recommended. Sweat it all out. I like to think of the many cultures of the world that use sweating as a cleansing ritual. Yes, some things these days are still this natural....
- The ordered chaos of New York amazes me. Big city living. I want to try it, and am glad Istanbul will provide me with the opportunity...
- Big cities are like wearing heels: It forces you to walk with confidence. 

Israel- Landing in Israel always feels good. People clap and you cant help but smile. A strange homecoming of sorts.... 
-I made it to Shabbat dinner at Kibbutz Lotan and managed to break two glasses in one evening. Bring on the Arrack, mud domes, and desert heat and I am a happy gal. 

Jordan - Yes, I would love some tea. No, I do not have a boyfriend. I am so sorry I can not marry you, nor say I love you back. But please, please let me cross the border. Welcome to Jordan. 
-I was tough enough to get a taxi to Petra for almost the same price as the bus... you should be proud dad. The driver did not make me get drunk this time, but he did force me to drink three Cokes. Try to say no to these men- virtually impossible. 
-I love how you can feel history. The mountains and sand of Petra scream with stories of thousands of years. I keep promises, and took pictures to the Bedouins. Reunions are always glorious and I was happy not only to see faces, but also caves, streams, rooftops, tea, donkeys, and camels.
-Wadi rum is magic. A desert is soft and forgiving I was told...the sand always allows for change. 
-I decided I love to travel because I seem to feel life a little bit deeper and stronger. 

Egypt- A week of the Sinai desert is a cleansing for the soul.....but only if you are ready to face yourself. Read, write, eat, sleep, swim, write, read, and do it again. and again. and again. ...

Israel- Gene Dolgin was my saint in Tel Aviv and provided the perfect accommodation for a week at the Ohio Hostel. (also highly recommended/ 48 Ibn Givrol)
- I toured the Palestinian territories. Saw the wall dividing a Palestinian village into two, the terrible conditions, the checkpoints, the desperation. The checkpoints that 185 woman have given birth at, not allowed to cross, and 18 have died. - Sometimes it feels like all we can do in this world is have hope. Hope for a better something. In this war, both sides seem so damn unhopeful I don't see how peace will ever come. Why do we expect youngsters to share, when there are almost no role models in sight? 

- I eat a lot at the airport today.... excited/nervous about the year to come. 

Turkey -  My internet meeting is legit. No rapes or kidnappings (as too many suggested)... just a sign with MOLLY written in pink and a nice driver. Perfect. I was welcomed warmly into a beautiful home, and immediately comforted........ i am ready.... 

2 comments:

bgoldst said...

nice writing, molly. i will follow along. have fun! can't believe i haven't seen you since cvg in 2004.
brian g.

Athreya Dilip said...

What do I say to ur blog...u just speak my other side of my mind!