Friday, July 18, 2008

vomit #2.

Vomit #2. A bunch of little ones....
~Flying in the sky with white table clothes and three course meals is quite something... I think everyone in life deserves this treatment at least once. The girls and I were equally excited.          

~23 hours later.... land of the free. home of the brave! ... or ... Orange County. I've been keeping my eyes peeled for Lauren and Lo, Hiedi and Spencer, but I guess they are in The Hills. ..
~So I am home, but this culture is of the strangest of countries to me. Where is my America?
~No adjustment time here. Divin straight into it all. Hello English, fine dining, valet, and desperate housewives. 
~It is an unending point of fascination to be on a family vacation with two families, neither of whom I knew even a month ago.
~It is great to be with the girlies here. Out of normal contexts and comfort zones, we are only left to build trust. Yesterday I was able to take the little one to the toilet and brush her hair all day long without a fuss...
~ The other night the four girls and I got room service and it was so great. Then we had a pillow fight. I forgot how awesome pillow fights are....
~Working any job for 24 hours a day is utterly exhausting, kinda crazy, and somewhat depressing.
~To work for a family you must posses great strength, and almost no ego....
~My butt is getting whiter, which means I am getting tanner....
~Something just seems wrong about kids of leashes. Domination! Yeah!
~It is nice to see diversity. And interracial couples.
~It is nice to see familiar clothing stores. It is not nice to not be able to walk into them. torture in fact... a n t h r o l o g y . . . . a m e r i c i a n a p p e r a l . . . . .u r b a n . . . . g o o d b y e . . . 
~ I realized I don't need to approach strangers with a stupid smile and over exaggerated hand gestures, in hopes they will respond with a smile too... I can just speak English. 
~Now that I can eavesdrop again, I remember how much shit people talk.  
~The first day we arrived to the resort/club to learn we had just missed Obama by minutes. So... YES I CAN! say hearing this was about the most hopeful and appropriate welcome back to America I could receive. 
~ They don't have kale in Turkey. Holy Moly. ... I love kale. And beets. Pickles, tortillas, Tortilla chips, salsa, broccoli, Annies mac&cheese. They changed the packaging of Earth Balance. And have dark chocolate (and white) KitKat bars. Do you remember these!?

~I often think of/feel temptation. I am letting it win with ease as I stuff more fine food into my poor little body than I thought possible. .. and sometimes it is not so fine. Like right now... Apple Jacks. And 5 minutes ago... KitKat bars... And 5 minutes before that... gummy worms. shit girl.  
~Anyhow. I fully understand how boys like Thatcher, Brody, Baker, Luckie, Dex, Conrad and Hanky can be so ridiculously attractive at the ages of 4, 6, and 8. Their dads picked them up from swim lessons. Omigod.
~ We went to SeaWorld yesterday and saw some pretty sweet shows... but. I want to say thank you to all the creatures who are forced to live a life of captivity and stardom, and share with us human folk all the power and beauty they hold.... 
~Last night I dreamed I met these woman who created this incredible book... But it was MY dream. So really I am the one who wrote the words and illustrated the pictures. I love it when my sleep surprises me.... 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Molly:

Your blog brought a lot of comfort and gave me a huge smile. I am a Philadelphia girl currently living in Orange County, CA (getting my Ph.D. in political science at UCI), and have just returned from a trip to Istanbul. I have been to a lot of cities, but none have ever called to me like Istanbul did.

Having read through a bunch of ex-pat blogs, it made me smile to read your honesty, your likes and dislikes, your fears and hopes. I am eager to get back to Istanbul, and reading of your experience has done nothing but make me more excited. So -- a simple thank you!

Best wishes to you in your adventure,
Ashley

Benjamin said...

Hi, Molly! I'm also an expat living abroad. Nice blog. Was curious if you knew any English teachers in Istanbul? I'm currently teaching English in Vietnam and starting to think about the next country I'd like to move to. My email is august100@gmail.com

My blog, if you want to check it out, is www.ahoyhanoi.blogspot.com

Have a good day!