Wednesday, July 2, 2008

24

Day off. Number one. It was a long day so it is going to be a long post...

I sat on the bus with a tiny leaf and a tiny flower pressed in between two fingers. I always do this, and it always makes me feel a bit more grounded. I smiled to the people who must not see this often. (Why the hell does this girl have a small stick in her hand?) I also smiled to realize I feel the lightest I have ever felt... no major pressures of life- school, work, boys, future, my mind. 

Time to be a tourist and hit the big ones. Hagia Sophia and the Blue Mosque. I was impressed. But feeling like cattle never feels nice, and after a few pictures i was ready to get out of there.... 

I slept on a street that was 100% fueled by the tourism industry. The restaurants and shops are at the heart of its existence, and so are the men who run them. I watch how these men agitate people so, but I took to working with them. Shake hands firmly, smile warmly, direct eye contact. "Hi, my name is Molly. I am from the US. Your menu/cheap junk looks great, but really I am not interested." As you maintain eye contact you see your words are not of such importance, as your eyes do all the speaking. "We both are in this same game of life. I respect you and your profession, but really, please let me pass in peace." Generally, it works. 

After a lack on sleep pulled me deep into dreams, and I watched men catch (puny) fish,               

and eat apricots and pears, and got lost and redirected by a whole village, and read and wrote for hours, and drank three pints of free beer (didn't take cards..opps), I met my first friends of Istanbul. - I knew they were good guys because I was watching them for hours. They sat with their legs crossed, focusing on each others words, and you could see their sincerity through their smiles. They are pharmacists. They are playful and intelligent. 

Suha is on the right. And I cant remember the name of the one on the left, but I couldn't remember (or pronounce) it all night. I do think it has an M, F, and A, in it though.

Istanbul has a killer, and I don't use this word lightly, nightlife. Really. Mayhem. While going to and fro I spent the night arm and arm with an Australian girl. We talked girltalk and laughed girlylaughs and I realized how much I miss having girlfriends. At least for this one night it was fulfilled.

In the morning I saw this couple.....

I walked behind them for a long while and never once did they let go of each others hands. Take note of this handhold. Not the classic one. Or the laced one. It is a special one. An I am falling madly and deeply more and more in love with you every moment, and can't bear to let our fingers fall away one.... And I thought when I am their age, I hope I still hold hands like this... 

As I was getting onto the tram in the morning I got a phone call. Hop in a taxi and head over to a nice hotel for a wedding brunch. Ok, fine with me. I applied make-up in attempts to hide the lack of sleep and alcohol. I changed my top-shirt trying to look at least acceptable... and was just thinking, "Wow, I could really get used to this lifestyle," Then I noticed the driver was holding himself. His p_ _ _ _ was fully e _ _ _ _. So I tensed up, and then turned to the right trying to focus on the breeze and the Bosporus.  ...

No comments: